The client wanted to integrate multiple home audio and video systems into one system, controllable from multiple points in their house. CEDIA member Graytek
of Coquitlam, BC, Canada, designed a system that combined multiple systems for optimal use of space, performance and value.
- Integrated Home System: The client wanted a control system that would integrate both audio and video throughout the home, making digital music and movies accessible from any room. In addition to whole-home integration, the media system needed to be easy to use and controllable with a single remote.
- Hidden Equipment: Like many homeowners today, this client wanted all the source equipment to be consolidated in minimal space and hidden in an attractive, yet accessible way.
- Value for Dollars: The budget for the project made it important to understand the relationship between each component's performance features and its value in the overall system.
- Structural Beams: The home's structural and decorative beams made installation more difficult because everything had to be fitted around beams.
- Lack of Space: Due to the home's size, space for the electronics had to be kept at a minimum.
Home Integration System: Graytek chose a user-friendly central control system, allowing the client to easily and conveniently control all audio and video. The system is managed from touch panels in the kitchen and master bedroom plus six 12-button keypads strategically placed throughout the home. Overall, the system connects:
- A media room with wall-mounted TV
- 2 audio zones that stream in AM/FM radio, XM radio, ReQuest music server and a cable music channel, including three outdoor zones around the hot tub, pool and patio
- TVs in the master bedroom and den, which include HDTV, Blu-ray and cable TV HD PVR
Equipment Storage: Graytek designated a centralized space for the equipment and installed an exhaust fan to protect it from overheating. The fan remains on while the system is running and during a cooling period afterwards.
Data and Phone Integration: In addition to the audio and video integration throughout the home, Graytek set up business-class data and phone network with wired and wireless access.
Home Technology Professional
116 - 250 Schoolhouse Street
Coquitlam, BC V3K 6V7 | Canada
Birmingham & Wood
Vancouver, BC | Canada
Hart + Tipton Construction
165 E. 1st St.
North Vancouver, BC V7L 1B2 Canada