Have you ever experienced a movie in an IMAX 3D theater? Or maybe you've seen an IMAX presentation in a museum or science center.
Watching three-dimensional images on a gargantuan floor-to-ceiling screen while enveloped by life-like sound is a thrilling experience - one well worth the few extra bucks theaters charge over a regular-priced ticket.
Well, now you can have a custom-designed IMAX Private Theatre installed in your home. Hailed as the "world's most immersive" home cinema experience, the theater is modeled after the company's state-of-the-art screening room in Santa Monica, CA where top filmmakers like James Cameron go to see their IMAX creations for the first time.
Sign up for a system and you get some serious red-carpet treatment. IMAX sends in a team of specialists to work with your installer, architect, and interior designer to ensure everything is built to the company's exacting performance standards, while taking into account your design preferences.
But there's a catch, at least for most of us: The base price of the IMAX Private Theatre is steep. Let's take a quick look at what you get for the tidy sum:
- A fully integrated, state-of-the-art home theater solution that follows a patented theater design in which room geometry, acoustics, and seating placement are engineered for optimal viewing.
- A wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling curved screen that creates an engaging, panoramic view - the hallmark of IMAX.
- IMAX's proprietary dual 4K video projection system for 2D and 3D playback, which includes an image enhancer to maximize the image quality of any content source.
- A commercial-grade 7.1-channel surround-sound system featuring laser-aligned speakers. The patented setup is designed to deliver a visceral experience.
- An advanced sound-calibration system that collects audio data from each channel every day and automatically recalibrates the system to ensure "perfectly tuned" sound at all times.
- Integrated theater controls on a touch-screen interface.
- A numbered commemorative plaque that brands each system as an original IMAX Private Theatre.
- Around-the-clock maintenance and support with a "five-minute response time" to help you through those awkward moments when technology goes awry just as the movie is about to begin.
Looking beyond the theater's physical attributes, IMAX offers up another benefit of owning the system: The ability to enjoy favorite movies, TV shows, sports, music and gaming in IMAX. (We're trying to imagine playing Call of Duty on a towering IMAX screen - could gaming get any better?)
All of which leaves us wondering: Who will be the first taker? Will it be an anonymous rich guy? A Hollywood actor or director? We're placing our bets on Hollywood and wouldn't be surprised if the Spielbergs of the world are already jockeying for position.
To learn more about the wide range of home theater options, consult a CEDIA professional. Click here for a list of CEDIA-member home technology professionals in your area.